East River Pilates & For a Day Foundation
Welcome ERP Members! Thank you for joining us in brightening the lives of some very special children. For a Day Foundation serves children with cancer & other serious illnesses through quality of life services - play therapy that brings back a piece of their childhood robbed by disease and intense treatments. We've been going strong for 18 years now! Check out our supply list and peruse the website to learn more about us and our impact. We have some unique ways to plug in (knitting, anyone?!) and offer a couple options for volunteer leadership.
We operate through two primary programs: Queen for a Day & Hero for a Day. And we serve the kids through 12 local chapters. In 2017, our local chapters served a combined 222 girls and 137 boys throughout the US!
You can help us by bringing supplies to ERP's two locations (see the list below), or by donating funds here.
Because we deal with a sensitive patient population, our requests are pretty specific:
- Eyeshadow, blush, lipstick - all new, unused/unopened, hypoallergenic. A key component of our Queen for a Day program. Can be purchased from neighborhood drugstores. Patients get to keep whatever we use on them, so we prefer individual palettes. Colors can range from the extreme (green! blue! purple!) to the daytime neutral. We've seen kids go for it all. View our Amazon Registry for examples of what we use & even buy the items directly from the registry.
- Nail polish - new, unused/unopened. Another component to Queen for a Day. A range of colors is preferred (see above). Can be kid-friendly or the regular brands we're all used to. If you want to be extra special, bring the less toxic brands (3-free, 5-free, etc).
- Knit or Crochet faux-feather boas - We'll supply the patterns & yarn suggestions we think will work for this purpose! Email inquiry @ foraday.org for the patterns & yarn info.
- Superhero capes - Hero for a Day! We like these packages from Amazon because each cape/mask set is individually wrapped, which keeps each piece free of dust and contamination:
- Want to go crazy? Our local chapters frequently purchase crafts, activities, and more goodies from Oriental Trading. We generally have to prepare for about 25 girls and 25 boys per hospital visit. Anything related to our programs (queen & hero) that is not religiously inspired is welcomed (per hospital policy).
- Donate cash. Cash pays for our shipping costs to send supplies to chapters and to get donated rhinestone tiaras to our home office for inspection and cleaning. It also covers program-related support for our volunteers & chapters.
- Consider joining our national Board of Directors, based in NYC. View the posting on VolunteerMatch.org and email jenna @ foradayfoundation.org to start the conversation.
- Interested in leading the NYC local chapter? That's available, too! Start the exploration process here. Or register to keep up with NYC volunteer opportunities here.
Thank you in advance for whatever contribution you're able to make! We'll direct the supplies to NYC-area activities. Anything extra will be distributed to a local chapter in need.
Warmly, Jenna - FAD President & ERP member
See you in class!